GAZA (Ma’an) -- The Rafah crossing is still not equipped to deal with the flow of Palestinians crossing into Egypt from the Gaza Strip, Hamas Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh said Wednesday.
“From the heart of the Rafah crossing, I appeal to the Egyptian leadership to ease the suffering of citizens, and on our part, we will do our best,” Haniyeh said following a meeting with Rafah crossing and security officials.
The obstacles for travelers are on the Egyptian side of the crossing as the Palestinian side is capable of dealing comfortably with 1000 passengers, Haniyeh added.
The Gaza PM also revealed that $4.5 million had been allocated to improve the crossing’s infrastructure. The first stage of refurbishment will start next week.
Egypt permanently opened the Rafah crossing for Palestinians in May 2011 in a significant change of policy from the previous Mubarak regime.
The Rafah border with Egypt is Gaza's only crossing that bypasses Israel, although it is still lacks the infrastructure required to transport large quantities of goods into the Gaza Strip.